So in case you haven’t heard, Recyclemania is currently happening here at PLU! Its kind of a big deal..
We have the results from week 1 and week 2 in. Drumroll please….
Week 1 was a great start to the contest. We recycled a total of 1,649 pounds, which was 65% percent of the total amount of waste material that left campus. Our goal is to recycle 70% of what leaves campus. We were almost there!
In week 2, we recycled much more material, but also took more waste to the landfill :(. We recycled a total of 11,608 pounds of waste items (holy crap that’s a lot, right??), but it only accounted for 58% of the total material that left campus. So, lets keep our eyes on the prize (both the contest, and the goal of 70%), and keep recycling materials that don’t need a one way ticket to the landfill.
Last week, we had the Wasteland showing in surPLUs. We had a good turnout, and are considering hosting a movie once a night in surPLUs. Post up if you are interested in seeing that idea get off the ground!
Next week, we will have more details on the sculpture contest, which I am personally pumped for. Until then, lets keep it more classy than trashy and recycle recycle recycle!
Clean Air-Cool Planet (CA-CP) Fellowships are 10-week, full-time summer positions that pair exceptionally talented students with challenging, real-world projects to advance innovative climate change solutions and leadership. Fellows are provided mentorship, networking opportunities and a stipend.
The list of 2012 Fellowships is exciting and diverse, including the following:
- Haas Climate Fellowship: Climate Preparedness for Coastal New Hampshire Towns (NH)
- Lamprey Climate Fellowship: Charting Emissions From Food Services (CHEFS): Supporting Sustainable Decisions
- Impact of Climate Change on Population Dynamics of Emergent Pathogens (NH)
- Fostering Innovation in Financing State and Local Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Initiatives (CT)
- Using the Campus Carbon Calculator to Highlight Coal Dependence Impacts and Alternatives for Colleges and Universities
- Climate Preparedness for New Jersey – Data Directory (NJ)
- and more…
If you are, have or know a college student (upper-class undergrad or graduate) looking for a challenging and rewarding summer experience, for details about the projects and application process, please visit http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/for_campuses/Climate_Fellows_2012.php.
Our deadline for accepting applications is February 24th, so please help us spread the word!
Director of Program Planning and Coordination
Clean Air-Cool Planet
100 Market Street, Suite 204
Portsmouth, NH 03801
With the beginning of a new semester, comes a new challenge for the Sustainability Department: RecycleMania.
Here’s the lowdown:
The When: February 8th to March 31st
The Who (see what I did there?): PLU’s Sustainability Department along with over 600 universities across the United States and Canada
The Where: any place on campus you recycle (hint: there’s a TON)
The Why: a friendly competition to promote the importance of recycling on campus and developing sustainable lifestyles (Saving the Earth. nbd)
The What: The next 10 weeks will feature some show-stopping, jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring events. Does that sound epic to you? Cuz it is.
- Garbology: Each residence hall will have a hands-on tour through their trash. You’d be surprised to discover how much could have avoided a permanent trip to the landfill.
- WasteLand: Come to SurPLUs on February 16th to see a film telling the story of the catadores, or garbage pickers, in the largest landfill in the world. More information will follow in the next blog entry (yes, this is a shameless plug).
- Sculpture Contest: Think you’re the Picasso of Plastics? Prove it. Make your own sculpture out of PLU’s recyclable materials in the beginning of March.
The How: The fantastic employees in the Sustainability Department will be hard at work, collecting recycling from all of campus and weighing each material’s totals. We’ll add everything for each week and send our numbers to the ReycleMania coordinators to be compared with other schools. Let’s be awesome. And win!
What should YOU do to help?
Be classy, not trashy. Recycle stuff that can be.
Signing off for this week. Be sure you check back every week for more fun and exciting posts! (yep, another shameless plug)